Thursday, March 29, 2012

Infamous (Chronicles of Nick #3)



Infamous
Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Genre: Supernatural | Fantasy | Young Adult
Release Date: March 13th, 2012
GoodReads

Infamous is the third novel in the Chronicles of Nick series. It takes place immediately after the events in Invincible. I got the ebook on release date courtesy of a friend. I'd been waiting for A LONG TIME for the book so I started reading it right away. Despite it being 480 pages long, it, like the other books in the series, felt waaaaaaay too short.

There were some very noticeable errors and also a major blooper SK used to describe Nick's situation.

Take that back, Nick wouldn't want to meet him in a suit of Kevlar wrapped in C-4 with a grenade launcher over his shoulder. Even with all that protection on your body, Bane would still be terrifying.

That particular paragraph makes me wonder whether she knows that C-4 is in fact, an explosive, and not protective armor. "But you misunderstood what she meant!", is what some people reading this review might claim. But then again, check out the second underlined bit in that quote. It only strengthens my assertion that she thought C-4 = some sort of protection/protective armor.

Other than that and some minor errors, Infamous was a relatively good book filled with quite annoying dialogue (fans of the Dark Hunter series might be familiar with some of it seeing as how SK loves to hype up her characters' dialogue to the extreme). For example:

"I didn't care what you did to me. I didn't. But when you hit my baby...nuh-uh. It was on like Donkey Kong. Nobody touches my boy. Not you. Not anyone. He's all I've got in this world and I will slaughter you like a hog at Christmas if you even look askance at him again. You hear me?"

- This is what Nick's mom said to his bad-ass dad (yup, Adarian actually fills up quite some space in this book instead of the rare cameo appearances like in the previous novels).

Did you know that Bubba's mom came for a visit? =P

His mother screwed her face up. "Oh, I hate that name he uses. Do I look like I'd name my son Bubba?" The way she said the name it sounded like the ultimate insult. "That I would gaze down upon my precious bundle that I had succored for months inside my own body and given all my devotion to and say, 'Dear Lord, thank you for this wonderful gift. Let me call him Bubba, so that he can grow up and be mocked before he even opens his mouth.'

Infamous ain't all bad. There were some really witty bits (Nick is awesome) that made me laugh out loud. One of the things SK does well is sarcasm and witty humor. Oh, and we also get a lot more back story regarding the Malachai and Sephiroth, and their role in the universe. In this book SK actually elaborates about the creation and role of the two warring factions and how they came to be in their current state. Bane, Grim, Acheron and Thorn (DH fans: remember him? =P) also appear in the book.

The overly emotional dialogue and over the top hyperbole from Cherise somewhat killed my enthusiasm but the extensive history about the Primal Gods and their Malachai/Sephiroth servants (or slaves, depending on your viewpoint) managed to keep me hooked on the series. I can't wait for the next book!


Scores:
Cover: 8
Characters: 7
Story: 8

Overall:  7.5/10

2 comments:

Bex n Books said...

Thanks for this. I'm a fan of the author but have yet to read any of her YA books. I'll definitely check out this series.

Unknown said...

Oooh, you're a Dark Hunter fan as well? =O